Refugee camps comprised of small villages of redwood "relief sheds" or as we commonly refer to them now, quake shacks, were built all over San Francisco in the aftermath of the 1906 earthquake and fire. They were the FEMA trailers of their era.
All photos: OpenSFHistory.org
Dolores Park—then Mission Park—cottage camp, opened November 19, 1906 and closed October 22, 1907.
Photo: OpenSFHistory.org wnp14.0615
Earthquake shacks start their exodus from then-Bernal Park (now Precita Park) in 1907. There are a number of shacks scattered around Bernal Heights to this day.
Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library
After some have been removed from the Presidio