Information contributed by Joseph Leake, Potrero Court HOA Board President
In 1930 the Dutch Boy Paint Factory sat on the northeast corner of 24th and Kansas.
Photo: San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library (AAB-5992)
By 1994 the west side of Kansas Street had been demolished and replaced by the 101 Freeway, hidden by eucalyptus trees in this image, and a new apartment building had replaced the paint factory.
Photo: David Green
1857 – Bass-Hueter Paint Co. and San Francisco Pioneer Varnish and Glycerine Works is founded by Mr. Bass, and located at the northeast corner of Kansas and 24th Streets. Famed California photography & pictoralist Oscar Maurer (1870–1965) worked in sales for Bass-Hueter from 1891–98, and his father also worked for the company. They lived at 2220 24th St., which was a small building at the factory toward Rhode Island Street, next to the main entrance of the present day Potrero Court residences on the site.
1906 – Bass-Hueter opens a new office at 816 Mission near 4th Street, next to where Bloomingdale’s now sits.
1908 – Bass-Hueter is purchased by National Lead Co., makers of Dutch Boy Paints. The Dutch Boy Paint factory becomes the name that sticks for this industrial building.
1938 – Factory still in operation. The 24th St. trolley passed right by it.
1955 – Highway 101 under construction, in whose path the west side of Kansas Street is demolished and planted with Eucalyptus trees.
It's unclear when Dutch Boy moved out.
1971–74 – Synanon, Inc.—a communal group begun as a treatment center for narcotics addicts—creates its San Francisco House in the factory building after National Lead Co. transfers the plant (1970) to the intentional community.
1986 – Proposal for Grosvenor Terraces, a 132-unit housing development, made by Grosvenor Development and Cal Fed Enterprises to neighborhood.
Late 1980s – Extensive toxic clean up done on site in preparation of creation of an apartment and condominium complex on the block.
1988 – Community picnic announcing new residential building construction.
1989 – Property name changed to Potrero Court; probably by Bay West, the developer.