Dolores Park (formerly the Jewish Cemetery), April 18, 1906, fire burning that will eventually reach the edge of the park.
Photo: Online Archive of California
Dolores Park after the 1906 quake; note the refugee tent camp.
photo: Private Collection, San Francisco, CA
At the top of the hill, at 20th and Church, stands the fire hydrant that is thought to have saved the rest of the neighborhood, because its water continued to flow and helped douse the approaching fire.
Within months these standardized earthquake relief shacks filled most San Francisco parks.
Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco, CA
Dolores Park—then Mission Park—cottage camp, opened November 19, 1906 and closed October 22, 1907.
Photo: OpenSFHistory.org wnp14.0615
Dolores Park 1907, looking north.
Photo: OpenSFHistory.org wnp14.0612
An earthquake relief center nearby in the Mission, 1906.
Photo: provenance unknown, via Facebook