The Stargazer at 220 Monterey Blvd., owned by the Rec. and Parks Dept now, was once a conservatory housing rare plants and birds.
H. Taylor, a railroad worker, bought this land from Behrend Joost, owner of Sunnyside Land Co., in 1891. In 1898, W.A. Merralls, a mining engineer and inventor, bought the house and erected the Conservatory, housing rare plants and birds. It is now called the Stargazer, and is maintained by the San Francisco Dept. of Recreation and Parks.
Photos: Chris Carlsson