Difference between revisions of "Haight-Ashbury Architectural Tour beginning"

(new page, resuscitating HA Architectural Tour chapter)
 
(PC and protected)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
'''<font face = Papyrus> <font color = maroon> <font size = 4>Primary Source</font></font> </font>'''
 +
 
[[Image:Park entrace 1887 bw AAA-7675.jpg]]
 
[[Image:Park entrace 1887 bw AAA-7675.jpg]]
  
 
'''Park Entrance, 1887, Stanyan and Haight Streets.'''
 
'''Park Entrance, 1887, Stanyan and Haight Streets.'''
  
''Photo: San Francisco History Room, SF Public Library''
+
''Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library''
  
 
It is fitting that this tour should BEGIN AT THE CORNER OF HAIGHT AND STANYAN STREETS because it is around this intersection that the neighborhood developed. In 1868 the state set aside funds with which to purchase the land that is now Golden Gate Park. By 1870 a Park Commission had been appointed and a superintendent employed to take and landscape the [[Sand Conversion|sand dunes]]. By the 1880s the success of these efforts was apparent and Golden Gate Park was rapidly developing into the city's recreational center. The main pedestrian entrance to the park was at this intersection and thus it became the launch pad for park activities. On weekends it was not unusual for thousands of people to crowd the area.  
 
It is fitting that this tour should BEGIN AT THE CORNER OF HAIGHT AND STANYAN STREETS because it is around this intersection that the neighborhood developed. In 1868 the state set aside funds with which to purchase the land that is now Golden Gate Park. By 1870 a Park Commission had been appointed and a superintendent employed to take and landscape the [[Sand Conversion|sand dunes]]. By the 1880s the success of these efforts was apparent and Golden Gate Park was rapidly developing into the city's recreational center. The main pedestrian entrance to the park was at this intersection and thus it became the launch pad for park activities. On weekends it was not unusual for thousands of people to crowd the area.  
Line 11: Line 13:
 
'''Unidentified group of friends in Golden Gate Park, 1880s.'''
 
'''Unidentified group of friends in Golden Gate Park, 1880s.'''
  
''Photo: San Francisco History Room, SF Public Library''
+
''Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library''
  
 
They came for the free Sunday concerts in the music concourse; to visit the elaborate playground at Sharon Lake; to sip tea at the Japanese Garden and to attend baseball games on the [[Baseball 1886-1903|field on Frederick]]. Supporting businesses flourished along Stanyan Street. There were taverns, coffee houses, restaurants, billiard halls and even two hotels. At the corner of Frederick and Stanyan passengers could board an open air train for a scenic ride along Lincoln Way to Ocean Beach. In 1895, an amusement park [[The Chutes|"The Chutes,"]] opened on Haight Street between Clayton and Cole. It had as its only attraction a boat on rollers which dropped from a 60-foot tower into an artificial lake. In later years a theater, a railroad and wild animal exhibitions were added.  
 
They came for the free Sunday concerts in the music concourse; to visit the elaborate playground at Sharon Lake; to sip tea at the Japanese Garden and to attend baseball games on the [[Baseball 1886-1903|field on Frederick]]. Supporting businesses flourished along Stanyan Street. There were taverns, coffee houses, restaurants, billiard halls and even two hotels. At the corner of Frederick and Stanyan passengers could board an open air train for a scenic ride along Lincoln Way to Ocean Beach. In 1895, an amusement park [[The Chutes|"The Chutes,"]] opened on Haight Street between Clayton and Cole. It had as its only attraction a boat on rollers which dropped from a 60-foot tower into an artificial lake. In later years a theater, a railroad and wild animal exhibitions were added.  
Line 19: Line 21:
 
'''Streetcar turns around at Haight and Stanyan, 1940.'''
 
'''Streetcar turns around at Haight and Stanyan, 1940.'''
  
''Photo: San Francisco History Room, SF Public Library''
+
''Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library''
  
 
[[Delmar Street showcases different styles|Prev. Document]]  [[Shrader between Page and Oak|Next Document]]
 
[[Delmar Street showcases different styles|Prev. Document]]  [[Shrader between Page and Oak|Next Document]]
  
 
[[category:Haight-Ashbury Architectural Tour]] [[category:Haight-Ashbury]] [[category:1860s]] [[category:1870s]] [[category:1880s]] [[category:1940s]] [[category:architecture]] [[category:transit]]
 
[[category:Haight-Ashbury Architectural Tour]] [[category:Haight-Ashbury]] [[category:1860s]] [[category:1870s]] [[category:1880s]] [[category:1940s]] [[category:architecture]] [[category:transit]]

Revision as of 21:13, 8 January 2009

Primary Source

Park entrace 1887 bw AAA-7675.jpg

Park Entrance, 1887, Stanyan and Haight Streets.

Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

It is fitting that this tour should BEGIN AT THE CORNER OF HAIGHT AND STANYAN STREETS because it is around this intersection that the neighborhood developed. In 1868 the state set aside funds with which to purchase the land that is now Golden Gate Park. By 1870 a Park Commission had been appointed and a superintendent employed to take and landscape the sand dunes. By the 1880s the success of these efforts was apparent and Golden Gate Park was rapidly developing into the city's recreational center. The main pedestrian entrance to the park was at this intersection and thus it became the launch pad for park activities. On weekends it was not unusual for thousands of people to crowd the area.

Ggpark 1880s unidentified group of peopleAAA-8401.jpg

Unidentified group of friends in Golden Gate Park, 1880s.

Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

They came for the free Sunday concerts in the music concourse; to visit the elaborate playground at Sharon Lake; to sip tea at the Japanese Garden and to attend baseball games on the field on Frederick. Supporting businesses flourished along Stanyan Street. There were taverns, coffee houses, restaurants, billiard halls and even two hotels. At the corner of Frederick and Stanyan passengers could board an open air train for a scenic ride along Lincoln Way to Ocean Beach. In 1895, an amusement park "The Chutes," opened on Haight Street between Clayton and Cole. It had as its only attraction a boat on rollers which dropped from a 60-foot tower into an artificial lake. In later years a theater, a railroad and wild animal exhibitions were added.

Streetcar at Haight and Stanyan 1940 AAB-3957.jpg

Streetcar turns around at Haight and Stanyan, 1940.

Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

Prev. Document Next Document