Fillmore Arches Torn Down

Unfinished History


In 1943, the iron towers that had crowned each intersection of Fillmore Street for decades, originally built as a gateway to the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition at the Marina, were torn down as scrap metal for WWII.


Arches from the PPIE on Fillmore being torn down in 1943.
Photos: Greg Gaar Collection, San Francisco

Prev. Document Next Document