Sugar Palace

Unfinished History


The Sugar Palace

Spreckels mansion at 2080 Washington St AAC-6017.jpg

Entry way to 2080 Washington Street

Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

Claus Spreckels AAD-3012.jpg

Claus Spreckels

Photo: San Francisco History Center, SF Public Library

The Spreckels Mansion, 2080 Washington St. This outrageous circa-1912 chateau, famous for its ornate French Baroque limestone facade, is known as the Sugar Palace, since it was built with the Spreckels' sugar fortune. George and Alma Spreckels were perhaps San Francisco's best-known patrons of the arts; they gave the city the Palace of the Legion of Honor, the museum built above the bones of Gold Rush pioneers.

Claus Spreckels 1910 DN-0008426 Chicago Daily News negatives collection Chicago History Museum.jpg

Claus Spreckels in Chicago, early 20th century.

Photo: Chicago Daily News negatives DN-0008426, Chicago History Museum

Spreckels Sugar Factory on Potrero Shore

Prev. Document  Next Document