Difference between revisions of "Noe Valley Transit in Early 20th Century"

(added photo and decade)
 
Line 5: Line 5:
 
'''24th Street looking east just above Castro, Sept. 6, 1911.'''
 
'''24th Street looking east just above Castro, Sept. 6, 1911.'''
  
'''Photo: SFMTA Archives, U03180''
+
''Photo: SFMTA Archives, U03180''
 +
 
 +
[[Image:29th-Street-and-Church-Street-Looking-East December-13-1916 U05590.jpg]]
 +
 
 +
'''29th Street looking east across Church Street, with [[Trains in the Mission|San Jose-San Francisco SP line bridge]] in distance.'''
 +
 
 +
''Photo: SFMTA Archives, U05590''
  
 
[[Image:glenpark$30th-st-from-noe-c-1926.jpg]]
 
[[Image:glenpark$30th-st-from-noe-c-1926.jpg]]

Latest revision as of 21:44, 1 August 2020

Unfinished History

24th-east-at-Castro Sept-6-1911 U03180.jpg

24th Street looking east just above Castro, Sept. 6, 1911.

Photo: SFMTA Archives, U03180

29th-Street-and-Church-Street-Looking-East December-13-1916 U05590.jpg

29th Street looking east across Church Street, with San Jose-San Francisco SP line bridge in distance.

Photo: SFMTA Archives, U05590

Glenpark$30th-st-from-noe-c-1926.jpg

Westerly view up 30th Street from Noe, when it was just dirt paths in 1926.

Photo: Private Collection

Streetcars-nos-5-13-18-all-to-Holy-Cross-Cemetery-and-Ferries-unknown-intersection-apx-1880s.jpg

Streetcars numbers 5, 13, and 18 all going between Holy Cross Cemetery and Ferries, with routes into San Mateo County on San Jose Road, dated c. 1890s. This was the central point of operations of the San Francisco & San Mateo Electric Railway Company at San Jose Avenue and 30th Street. The building at left housed company offices and its dispatcher. Crews turned in their receipts here upon completing their runs. Through service from downtown to the county line and Colma was not provided for some time after the company opened it line; passengers were obliged to transfer here. (Charles Smallwood)

Photo: C. R. collection

Streetcar-No-9-on-29th-Street-looking-west-c-1930.jpg

Streetcar Number 9 on 29th Street looking west, c. 1930. This is one of the early Mission District electric car services, running west from Mission on 29th to Noe Street. This was the outer end of the Valencia Street Line. Note the carmen (streetcar conductors/drivers) at right waiting to take over their runs; the intersection was an important relief point for the Mission Street lines. (Charles Smallwood)

Photo: C. R. collection

Prev. Document   Next Document