Shaping San Francisco Donations
or make a
one time donation

Lovers Lane

Unfinished History

Presidio$lovers-lane$lane itm$presidio-1870s.jpg

Lovers' Lane (the straight path in middle of photo) got its name when off-duty soldiers in the 1860s used this path to walk into town to see their sweethearts. Originally, this straight path connected the Spanish garrison at the Presidio with the Mission at Dolores Lagoon, three miles southeast.

Photo: Private Collection

Presidio$presidio-small-bridge.jpg

At the bottom of the path a small stone bridge crosses Tennessee Hollow and the creek whose source is El Polin Spring further south in the Presidio. This bridge is over 100 years old, built in approximately 1885.

Photo: Carla Lazer

Presidio$lovers-lane-photo.jpg

Lovers' Lane

Photo: Carla Lazer


Prev. Document  Next Document