The Anchor Steam Brewery, San Francisco's last active brewery, shown here in 1996 at its location at the foot of Potrero Hill, adjacent to the Pioneer Square development.
Photo: Chris Carlsson
The Good Life Grocery opened at 1457 18th Street in 1974. In 1985, the community came out in support of owners Lester Zeidman and Kayren Hudiburgh when they faced a 1000% rent increase. Forced to relocate, the store reopened in 1986 on 20th Street.
Photo: Lester Zeidman, from Potrero Hill Archives Project
Protestors demonstrate to save Potrero Hill's Good Life Grocery, since relocated to 20th Street from its location in this picture on 18th.
1979 photo courtesy Potrero Hill Archives Project