Difference between revisions of "Fillmore Arches Torn Down"

(added fillmore district news header image)
(added new photo)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
'''<font face = arial light> <font color = maroon> <font size = 3>Unfinished History</font></font> </font>'''
 
'''<font face = arial light> <font color = maroon> <font size = 3>Unfinished History</font></font> </font>'''
 +
 +
[[Image:Fillmore-street-1921.jpg|720px]]
 +
 +
'''Fillmore Street at Sutter looking north, 1921. At left is a battery-powered delivery truck and behind it is a Model T Ford jitney, a competitor to the United Railroads service.'''
 +
 +
''Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco''
  
 
[[Image:westaddi$fillmore-ppie-towers.jpg]]
 
[[Image:westaddi$fillmore-ppie-towers.jpg]]

Latest revision as of 16:59, 5 September 2014

Unfinished History

Fillmore-street-1921.jpg

Fillmore Street at Sutter looking north, 1921. At left is a battery-powered delivery truck and behind it is a Model T Ford jitney, a competitor to the United Railroads service.

Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco

Westaddi$fillmore-ppie-towers.jpg

In 1943, the iron towers that had crowned each intersection of Fillmore Street for decades, originally built as a gateway to the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition at the Marina, were torn down as scrap metal for WWII.

Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco

1919 fillmore district news nameplate.jpg

The arches graced the nameplate of the Fillmore District News in 1919.

Image: courtesy of The New Fillmore newspaper archives.

Westaddi$ppie-fillmore-scrap-1943.jpg

Arches from the PPIE on Fillmore being torn down in 1943.
Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco

Prev. Document Next Document