Difference between revisions of "Fillmore Arches Torn Down"

(Changed credits from Greg Garr to Private Collection)
(added fillmore district news header image)
Line 6: Line 6:
  
 
''Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco''
 
''Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco''
 +
 +
[[Image:1919 fillmore district news nameplate.jpg]]
 +
 +
'''The arches graced the nameplate of the Fillmore District News in 1919.'''
 +
 +
''Image: courtesy of [http://newfillmore.com The New Fillmore] newspaper archives.''
  
 
[[Image:westaddi$ppie-fillmore-scrap-1943.jpg]]
 
[[Image:westaddi$ppie-fillmore-scrap-1943.jpg]]

Revision as of 17:08, 22 July 2014

Unfinished History

Westaddi$fillmore-ppie-towers.jpg

In 1943, the iron towers that had crowned each intersection of Fillmore Street for decades, originally built as a gateway to the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition at the Marina, were torn down as scrap metal for WWII.

Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco

1919 fillmore district news nameplate.jpg

The arches graced the nameplate of the Fillmore District News in 1919.

Image: courtesy of The New Fillmore newspaper archives.

Westaddi$ppie-fillmore-scrap-1943.jpg

Arches from the PPIE on Fillmore being torn down in 1943.
Photo: Private Collection, San Francisco

Prev. Document Next Document